Get the maximum benefit from your online Pilates
Read how to get the maximum benefit from doing online Pilates with us.
- Take classes 2–3 times a week. This type of routine should give you benefits you can feel. As Joseph Pilates said, "in ten sessions, you will feel the difference, in twenty you will see the difference, and in thirty you'll have a whole new body."
- Remember Joseph’s 8 guiding principles. Think ‘breathing, coordination, concentration, centring, control, precision, flowing movement, and routine’ as you exercise and live (read more about Pilates' 8 guiding principles).
- Practise as you live. You can practise Pilates every day as you live it. You can work on your posture and breathing while walking, sitting in the car, shopping, or even while standing talking to someone at a party!Our bodies are designed to move, not to keep absolutely still. Moving gently throughout the day allows your muscles to stay active and constantly re-energise.
- Don’t overdo it. Tired muscles will cause you to move with less efficiency and control, so take care not to overdo your practice. Recovery time is very important to allow your brain and body to re-energise and to adsorb the messages and effects of exercising.
- Vary the level of difficulty of classes. In easier classes, you will be able to focus on the foundation Pilates movement patterns as opposed to the more taxing movements of advanced-level classes. You will be surprised how good the foundation patterns can be for your body. These foundation exercises are a great warm up for your body before taking part in any level of Pilates class.
- Always listen to your body. Do what is best for you at the time you choose to do a class. Don’t let your head talk you into doing something that does not feel ‘right’ for your body.
- Do some of our workshops. Our workshops teach you about your body and how it moves, and help you develop your Pilates technique.
Sign up or buy now
- Sign up for a free 15-day trial — Access all of our foundation and assessment videos and a 1 hour 40 minute beginner mat class with Bruce Hildebrand.
- Sign up for a monthly subscription — Take out a monthly subscription for only US$16 and get unlimited access to all of our videos.
- Sign up to our pre and post-natal videos — Take out a monthly subscription for only US$10.
- Purchase just the videos you want — You can also purchase our videos individually and build your own collection.
What I particularly value is her remarkably quick and perceptive responsiveness. She isn’t limited at all to working through rigid routines, but varies things greatly depending on your body, whatever state it is in that day, and the feedback you provide. This particularly showed when I turned up with in rough shape after starting whitewater kayaking and she instantly created a session which bore little resemblance to what I’d seen of Pilates before. So she works with you not only to build up strength in weak areas that often underlie recurrent problems but also so that you learn how to take better care of your body to prevent new pains and to recover more quickly if you push things a bit far."